EMT · Case study

Design Thinking to improve UX in public transport.

Challenge

Our main goal is to improve the experience of bus users of Madrid’s public transport service; we will offer a technological solution to increase the users’ satisfaction towards accessibility during the bus trip as well as when waiting for the bus to arrive.

Solution

Inclusive and collaborative solution that synchronizes in real time relevant information of the door to door route, taking advantage of the accessibility tools that the smartphone offers, in order to make it universal.

User Persona

User persona based on the research made, and all the information collected from questionnaires and interviews.

Research

Our research process begins with an exploration focused on the user, the client and its competitors. By doing a desktop research based on the competition, we collected data of alternative transportation to the bus, such as VTC, taxis and other kinds of public transport. We also gathered information of mobility apps and disabled people oriented apps. Through a netnography we collected opinions and comments from users in numerous blogs, and in order to extend our qualitative investigation, we made a safari to the EMT buses. To better understand the general experience of EMT users, we created a questionnaire through Google Forms getting quantitative information. We interviewed Lucía, a blind woman who is Fundación Once’s volunteers coordinator, and she told us about her daily routine, how she moves around the city, her experience with public transport and the importance of technology in her life.

Customer journey to help us empathize with our user and see her frustrations when using the bus.

Insights

Before defining the specific problem, we marked some key points of our research. We defined the insights that will take us to a viable fix:
· Need of an app that unifies different others.
· Need of self-suffiency of people with reduced mobility.
· Need of social inclusion confronting differentiating systems.
· Need of information regarding the streets traffic and bus.

Sitemap of the mobile app with all the features it will include.

Ideation


Doing a MoSCoW, we included all our ideas for a solution to the pain points based on the interaction of the user and the service. Keeping in mind the objectives defined in the briefing, the qualitative and quantitative research and the insights collected we found the idea to be proposed as the solution: a redesign of EMT’s app. It will also implement a gaming process with the aim of encouraging the user to participate in the community, collaborating and getting bonuses in return.

Lo-fi wireframes to define the visual structure of the app and the task flow.

Prototype

Most of the functions included in our app are based on an insight defined by our research phase. First of all, the GPS tool with the ‘door to door’ route option answers to the need of an app that unifies others. We also added an alert function so people get notified when the bus is at the stop, and the option to filter in the map’s visualization the incidents reported by the community, street traffic and the information of the bus approaching. Responding to the need of self-sufficiency of the people with reduced mobility. Moreover, the Community is the function that will stand out the most in our app. Through this feature logged users will be able to collaborate by reporting incidents in the buses, traffic in the streets or some specific problem, like a ramp not working.

Main screens in hi-fi for the final prototype of the mobile app.

Conclusion

Double diamond method has been very efficient in the process. It allowed us to center our investigation in finding user’s problems instead of trying to find a solution right away. By doing questionnaires and interviews, besides the benchmarking analysis and the netnography, we managed to really empathize with EMT’s users and to learn about their frustrations when interacting with the bus service.

We have been able to maintain a good consistency between the objective, the pain points marked in the customer journey, the challenge specification and the final solution. Even though we faced some difficulties when doing the interviews, the sitemap and the flowchart we got to iterate positively and get a good result. The whole process could not have been possible if it wasn’t for every member of the group and the good team work.